Friday 27 August 2010

Lord, teach me how to pray.

As I stood by my kitchen sink, I called out these words; almost immediately the Lord's prayer came to mind. Lets look at the principles the Lord Jesus taught within this simple prayer in context of our daily approach to prayer.

Matthew 6 vs. 5-14

"And when you pray, do not be like the hypocrites, for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and on the street corners to be seen by men. I tell you the truth, they have received their reward in full. But when you pray, go into your room, close the door and pray to your Father, who is unseen. Then your Father, who sees what is done in secret, will reward you. And when you pray, do not keep on babbling like pagans, for they think they will be heard because of their many words. Do not be like them, for your Father knows what you need before you ask him.

Prayer should always be sincere, let it come from the heart, involving you and God, not to validate your righteousness before men. Don't use meaningless words and repetitions, understand that you are speaking to a God who is attentive and understands your need. Stand in the confidence that He hears you always. John 11 vs 41/42 ".......Then Jesus looked up and said, "Father, I thank you that you have heard me. I knew that you always hear me......." Don't allow yourself to be robbed of that confidence that God hears you as soon as you speak.

"This, then, is how you should pray: " 'Our Father in heaven,
You are our father, my dad, my daddy, my papa, I am your responsibility.

hallowed be your name, your kingdom come, your will be done, on earth as it is in heaven.
I honour Your name, Your will is done in heaven let it be done on earth, in my life, concerning this matter that I bring before You, let Your govt come, rule in this matter O God.

Give us today our daily bread.
Give me all that I need today O Lord

Forgive us our debts, as we also have forgiven our debtors.
Father forgive all that is outstanding against me, where I have missed the mark and trespassed, as I have also released those that have trespassed against me. At this point we have to let go of every offence, we do not need to seek restitution. When you forgive a debtor, it means they no longer owe you, their account with you has been balanced:  there is nothing to pay

And lead us not into temptation,
Here we are praying into our future, we asking God to order our steps, to keep us from temptation.
We are admiting to God that we know we are susceptible to being tempted and ask for strength to stand without falling. In Luke 22 vs 31, the Lord exercised this principle by praying ahead for Peter that his faith should not fail him.

But deliver us from the evil one.
Deliver us God from the devil and his cohorts. We are praying against satan's work to subvert,  distract & devour us. We are enlisting God to strengthen and deliver us from all satan's plans against us..

For if you forgive men when they sin against you, your heavenly Father will also forgive you. But if you do not forgive men their sins, your Father will not forgive your sins." The Lord teaches us further the principle of forgiveness, that to receive forgiveness, we have to forgive.

Cheers,
L

1 comment:

Raylak said...

whaow! so inspiring.

Daddy, You are indeed a father, the only True Love whose love fades not with time but grows stronger in good and bad situations. A man who listens to all my silent conversations, sees through my deep inner thoughts and wipes my unseen tears even when i pretend to be smiling..unh! A man whose mantle of grace i never deserved but has clothed me with mercy all around...my Lord Jesus, how much enough can I ever say for You are such an Indescribable Father.